BlogTherapy: Of Life & Loans

I had one of those nights ... when my perfect little plan gets set a bit askew.

I'm talking long-term, life plans. The kind that I hold onto the tightest and ironically also the kind that are the most out of my control. I can be irrational like that. 

I'd recently mapped out a financial plan for paying off my student loans (which was looong overdue! Seriously kids, start planning as soon as you graduate!) and then realized tonight that I'd way miscalculated the interest on one of my loans. Meaning I owe more than I'd thought and now my plans have to change.

Really not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things (but try telling that to myself when I'm in the middle of an irrational fit - cue two-year-old moment).

Yes, I have student loans. But I also have a college degree and a good job that enables me to pay them off (it's been officially decided that I experience the most "first world problems" in my family and here is a perfect example of that). 

In all honesty, though, this makes me recognize how much security I put in being "free" with my loans as the chains that are tying my down.

When I was younger, my mom used to quote Holocaust survivor Viktor Frankl, "The last of one's freedoms is to choose one's attitude in any given circumstance."

So even if I can't make my student loans disappear overnight, I can choose to not be consumed with paying them back ASAP. There is so much more to life than that. 

I may get caught up in my plans and dreams for my future, but I am trying to learn to see the good and beautiful in the dailiness of life. Because that is where life is really lived. 

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Post a Comment

Contributors

Powered by Blogger.